Public Wi-Fi is offered at almost every restaurant, cafe, and hotel. It is convenient to have wi-fi always available, but these public connections are not always safe. So how do you protect yourself while using public Wi-Fi? Check out these tips to make sure that you’re using public wi-fi networks safely:
- Check with someone from the establishment you are connecting to that it is the correct network. Cyber criminals can create similar network names in hopes that users will connect to their unsecured network.
- Use your mobile hot-spot in place of public wi-fi networks. This is a more secure way of connecting.
- Avoid using mobile banking sites or online shopping while on public networks since this involves entering credit card information.
- Be sure your device is fully patched and updated when connecting to a public network. This way any recent cyber security vulnerabilities have been addressed.
- Make sure that you are using strong passwords and are not storing them on your device. Though it is convenient it allows cyber criminals easier access if your device is lost or stolen.
- Turn off auto connect features and log out of wi-fi accounts.
- Be sure that websites with personal information on them are encrypted. To do this you want to make sure that when you use a website it has https:// at the beginning of every page you enter, you can even add this in manually.
If you have questions or concerns about connecting to wi-fi, please contact JMK today.